Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The many forms of "you"

In our church, when people pray, it is common for them to use the words "thou, thee, and thy" to address deity, rather than "you or your." I suspect this is mostly the result of tradition; we've always done it that way. Which is just fine. What isn't fine is when we tell others they need to pray that way because it shows greater respect or reverence for God.

In reality, it's quite the opposite.

If you've ever studied a foreign language such as Spanish or French or German, you learned about the two different ways to say "you," either formal or familiar. The formal choice always shows greater respect and is used for people above you in station, or for people who are significantly older than you, or for those you don't know well. The familiar form is used for children, close friends, family, people you know well.

In Spanish, the formal form of "you" is "usted," and the familiar is "tu" In French, the formal is "vous," and the familiar (like Spanish) is "tĂș." In German, the formal form is "Sie" and the familiar "du."

But what about English? Currently, we don't make any distinction; we use "you" for everyone. But that wasn't always the case. Up until the 17th Century, English, like Spanish, French, and German, had two forms of its 2nd person pronoun. But guess what? "You and your" were the formal forms, while "thou, thee, and thy" were the familiar. Truth.

So when we use "thou, thee, and thy" to address our Heavenly Father, we are choosing the familiar form of the pronoun. It is not more respectful or more reverent. It is actually the casual, friendly, more intimate choice, the form we would use with someone we know very well.

Which is exactly why I like it and why I use it myself. Okay, and also probably because I've been a member of the Church for over 20 years, and I'm used to hearing it that way. But I really do like the familiar form to address God because when I use it, I feel like I am praying to someone I know well, someone who is literally my Father, my family. Also, as a literature major, I'm comfortable with 17th Century English.

However, not everyone likes to pray that way. Many prefer to use the same language they use in everyday life, rather than a form that hasn't been used in English for over 300 years. And they have every right to pray in whatever way is comfortable for them. I'm confident our Father in Heaven doesn't care in the least which form, formal or familiar, of the 2nd person pronoun we use when we address Him. He really just wants to hear from us. All over the scriptures, we are called to counsel with Him, to seek Him out at all times and in all situations. That is what matters.

So let's take care not to tell others that they need to say "thou and thee" when they pray because it's more reverent and respectful.

Cuz it isn't. It just isn't. 

Instead, let us encourage others to use whichever words they prefer, as they seek out our Father in Heaven in sincere prayer, whether privately or in a group setting.

May we welcome everyone (and everyone's prayers) because as President Uchtdorf taught, "There is room for you in this church."


2 comments:

  1. Amen.

    Oh, and how cool is it that thee, thine, etc. are the familiar forms? It warms my heart and puts a smile on my face. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete